Travel by train in the country is a constant street theater. Can enjoy fantastic scene views and daily life along the way. It is impossible to be bored even on a long journey.
The first ever operate locomotive in the Railways history in Myanmar lunched in the operating between Yangon and Pay on May 1, 1877 by then called Irrawaddy State Railways Co inaugurated by it commissioner Mr. Reifer Thompson. Myanmar maintains 4684 km of metre guage railway line and 550 railway stations. Rolling stock consisted of 318 locomotive 48 steam and the remainder diesel plus 1130 passenger coaches. There are two types Express and Local. Express trains offer three classes of passage: Sleeper upper class and ordinary class.
1. Yangon - Bago - Taungoo - Pyinmana - Tharzi - Mandalay
2. Yangon - Bago - Pyinmana - Kyaukpatung - Bagan
3. Yangon - Kyaikhto - Mottama - Mawlamyine
4. Yangon - Bago - Pyinmana - Tharzi - Kalay - Aung Pan - Shwe Nyaung ( Inle Lake )
5. Mandalay - Shwe Bo - Mo Nyin - Ho Pin - Myitkyina